The Victorian Branch of the Australian Fabians invites you to the third event of our Spring Series on ‘The Future of Worker Power’.
This event asks what industrial democracy is, and whether deepening and expanding the power workers have in the workplace will secure better wages, conditions and relationships.
Our speakers will consider:
- How can workplaces become more democratic to ensure that workers have more control over their conditions and wages?
- Are Unions a way forward to advance industrial democracy or do we need to build alternate organisations?
- Should Australia consider radical legislative changes to democratise workplaces or are piecemeal reforms more achievable and appropriate?
- What methods should Australian workers pursue to increase the democracy in their workplaces – legislative or social?
- How do we achieve greater industrial democratic reforms in an environment of high unemployment, the casualisation of work and historically low Trade Union participation?
Godfrey Moase is the Executive Director of the newly formed United Workers Union. He is prolific writer and campaigner for the workers within and external to the Australian unionmovement. Godfrey has written on co-operatives and workplace democracy as a solution to stagnant wages and as a means to prevent corporate excess such as those as revealed in the banking royal commission.
Nick Dyrenfurth is Executive Director of the John Curtin Research Centre. He has been an immense contributor to the Australian Labor Party and Australian union movement. Nick has written and spoken extensively on employee representation on boards as an innovative solution to democratise decision making in workplaces.
This is an Online Only event - a link to join the Zoom event will be forwarded via email upon RSVP and prior to the event.
All are welcome to stay for our 'online pub' after the event:
In our time of lock down, this is an effort to maintain the social aspect of our face to face events, which are usually followed by dinner and drinks at a local pub. So remember to come prepared with your own BYO drink and nibbles for the post-event discussion. We encourage all members to switch on video at the event to improve sociability.