How do we define "effective" when it comes to protesting? And what do social media, democracy, political organizations and a good dose of history have to do with whether or not they might work?
At this Fabian's forum, we will endeavour to learn more about how marches create change — and why, in many cases, we have to wait for decades afterwards to find out if a protest was truly "effective."
To guide us through the learning process we have invited a number of guest speakers to lead our discussions.
- Terry O'Gorman is Vice President of the Queensland Council for Civil Liberties and President of the Australian Council for Civil Liberties. For many years he has been active in the Civil Liberties field and in the field of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander rights. Along with Anne Warner, Terry was heavily involved in the protest movement during the Bjelke Petersen regime and acted as legal representative for many of those who were arrested in those marches.
- Anne Warner is the former State Member for Kurilpa and South Brisbane and was a Minister for Family Services and Minister for Aboriginal Affairs in the Goss Government. Anne was a social welfare union organiser prior to entering politics. Anne undertook quite an active role in the protest movement and was active in a wide range of issues including civil rights, education, government maladministration, corruption, and child welfare.
- Sue Yarrow Sue was in all the marches and in the way House, Sue is a prominent ALP feminist activist. A founding member of the socialist left and to add icing to the cake she has recently done extensive research into her period of protest for her master's degree.
- Saleem Mohammed is currently Secretary of the Local Labor Association of the ALP. Prior to coming to Australia he was a member of one of the organisations which worker with the ANC to overcome the apartheid regime in South Africa even working with Nelson Mandela.
Join us on this endeavour to learn collectively.
A BBQ Lunch will be provided, should you require Vegan or Vegetarian food please email let us know here
- February 25, 2018 at 12pm – 3pm
United Voice, level 1
27 Peel St
Brisbane, QLD 4101
Google map and directions
- $10.00 AUD
- 28 people are going